[Speex-dev] AEC learning behaviour

Ken Smith ken at alanta.com
Tue May 24 08:23:39 PDT 2011

I'll only add that in my experience, the echo canceller + echo suppressor
removes significantly more of the echo than the echo canceller by itself. In
our testing, the echo canceller by itself removed about 65% of the echo
(which isn't good enough), and the echo canceller + echo suppressor removed
about 90% (which is good enough for 1:1 conversations).

What was key to getting this to work (this was in Silverlight) was enabling
a buffer to hold the recorded audio for about 200 ms before submitting it to
the echo canceller. By default, the Speex pre-processor only holds it for
about 20 ms, and we found that wasn't nearly long enough, at least in our
particular environment. We tested a variety of different buffer lengths on a
variety of different kinds of hardware, before settling on 200 ms as
producing the best results on the widest range of systems. But of course,
this was in Silverlight, which I strongly suspect adds a bit more latency
than other environments, so 200 ms probably isn't the best if you've got
better direct access to the hardware. But I also suspect that 20 ms likely
isn't the best either. It would actually be helpful if this were a
configurable value in the Speex preprocessor. (Someone want to take that on?
:-)

Ken Smith
Cell: 425-443-2359
Email: ken at alanta.com