[Speex-dev] Speex VAD always returning 1

Yanick Bourbeau ybourbeau at mrgtech.ca
Mon Aug 29 13:36:12 PDT 2011

 From 1.2rc1 source code:

preprocess.c:

/* FIXME: This VAD is a kludge */
st->speech_prob = Pframe;
if (st->vad_enabled)
{
if (st->speech_prob > st->speech_prob_start || (st->was_speech &&
st->speech_prob > st->speech_prob_continue))
{
st->was_speech=1;
return 1;
} else
{
st->was_speech=0;
return 0;
}
} else {
return 1;
}

AND

case SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_VAD:
speex_warning("The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete
rewrite");
st->vad_enabled = (*(spx_int32_t*)ptr);
break;

As you can see, it is a hack, not supposed to be very good. Still, weird
that you get
this result. If you want a sample to test it, check speexenc.c file in
speex source code package.
I usually implement this kind of feature outside of speex becauses I
want a better control
on how it happens and when to do something about it :)

Yanick Bourbeau