[Speex-dev] Problem with VAD in preprocessor on iPhone

Karl Nordstrom karl at algosolutions.com
Fri Nov 5 11:08:20 PDT 2010

Hi Greg,

We have been able to get the VAD sort of working by significantly
reducing the amplitude of the signal going into it. We watched the
speech probability value as we reduced the amplitude of the input signal
until seemed to be switching okay. In the end, the reduction was by a
right shift of 9, i.e. a factor of 2^9.

The switching is probably not as good as it could be and will need some
attention to achieve a proper fix. The large shift indicates that
something is wrong.

As I understand it, the signal going into the echo canceller was not
reduced (I wasn't the one that did the work).

Not too useful but I hope it helps.

Karl