[Speex-dev] frame size for a given quality?

Jeff Ramin jeff.ramin at singlewire.com
Mon Nov 1 06:55:44 PDT 2010

I need to stream speex-encoded audio over RTP, which doesn't seem
to be standardized yet, so I'm gonna roll my own code. I control both the
sending and receiving sides, so I can pretty much do what I want.

I want each packet to contain 20ms worth of audio (sampled at 8KHz),
and I'm encoding using a constant bit rate and quality:6.

Q: how do I determine how many bytes of data go into each packet? I'm
putting one frame (20 ms) into each packet.

Thanks!

--
Jeff Ramin
Software Engineer