[Speex-dev] Need help in speex..

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Mar 30 13:29:08 PDT 2010

Hi, Vipin,

    What you're going to want to do here is convert your 8-bit stereo
samples into 16-bit mono samples and back again when you're done(*).
What you are actually doing here, it sounds like, is feeding 2 8-bit
mono samples into Jspeex, which expects 16-bit mono.  So, the
most-significant-byte is in the right channel, and more or less gets
encoded/decoded properly, but the least-significant byte just looks like
noise.

(*) There's other options -- you could encode stereo if you wanted to,
but it won't be simple, because JSpeex probably doesn't support that,
and with 8-bit resolution, there's probably nothing interesting.    A
better idea would be to try to get 16-bit samples instead of 8-bit
samples.

-SteveK