[Speex-dev] Speex encoded stream in mp4

Justin Ruggles justin.ruggles at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 15:15:11 PDT 2010

Weikai Xie wrote:

> Hi,
>     Is that possible to store a speex encoded audio track in the
> standard .mp4 container file format? If yes, which tool I can use to
> do that? I found FFMPEG does not include the support of speex codec.
> Thanks.

MP4 only supports specific codecs, but you can probably write to MOV,
which is similar, using Microsoft WAVE tags.  I believe the tag for
Speex is 0xA109.  But even then, very few (if any) programs could
recognize it.

There is a patch on ffmpeg-devel for using FFmpeg to encode Speex via
libspeex.  Also, an entry would have to be added for the Speex codec id
in the ff_codec_wav_tags table in libavformat/riff.c in order to write
to MOV.

Hope that helps.

-Justin