[Speex-dev] About speex_jitterbuf_get

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Apr 14 21:11:30 PDT 2010

Messagingbay wrote:
> Hi
>
> Who can explain its return values and packets losing relationship during decoding?
>
> Because the decoder needs to consume one 20ms frame , if there is packages lose , the jitter buffer will be empty. Is it good idea to replace as silence?

Generally that would be a bad idea;  it would come out sounding like
packet loss, which is what you're trying to avoid.

The speex coded can perform "packet loss concealment", by estimating
what the missing frame should sound like;  I think you pass in NULL to
the decoder to do this.  If you're not using speex as the codec, most
codecs have similar methods, or if you're using something like uLaw or
PCM, you can interpolate.

-SteveK