[Speex-dev] Is Speex 1.0 and >=1.1 compatible?

Tobias blomman at ludd.ltu.se
Sun Apr 11 02:23:51 PDT 2010

On Saturday 10 April 2010 21.51.55 Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> All version after 1.0 are compatible with each other and with 1.0.

Hi Jean-Marc and thanks for the quick reply.

I have now looked at this further and got the idea to hard code the number of
frames in the decoder temporarily as a test and voilà, it works! The problem
seem to be some incompatibility in the termination handling. After processing
exactly four frames the number of remaining bits can be anything from zero to
seven which I guess is normal. However, if I use the while loop below,
speex_decode will get called one more time (a total of five times) and that
seem to mess up the decoder state. The decoded audio get sort of "bubbly".

while ((speex_decode(dec_state,&bits, samples) == 0) &&
          (speex_bits_remaining(&bits) >=  0)) {}

As far as I can see, the termination handling is not compatible when encoding
with, in this case, Speex ver 1.2rc1 and decoding with ver 1.0.5. Do you agree
or have I done something wrong in my code?  The full code can be found here:

http://svxlink.svn.sf.net/viewvc/svxlink/trunk/src/async/audio/AsyncAudioDecoderSpeex.cpp?view=markup
http://svxlink.svn.sf.net/viewvc/svxlink/trunk/src/async/audio/AsyncAudioEncoderSpeex.cpp?view=markup

I guess I could solve this problem by transmitting the frame count out-of-band
but if Speex can handle it, it's better.

Regards,
Tobias