[Speex-dev] Decoder performance on Windows Mobile 5

Steven Harris steven.harris at essential-viewing.com
Fri Oct 9 02:13:05 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to use the speex decoder on Windows Mobile 5. I have compiled the debug version of the lib for WM5 PPC. I am running this test on an HTC TyTn phone.

I'm decoding 4Kbits narrowband speex audio. Each decode call takes a buffer of size 100 bytes.

The problem is that each decode call takes around 130ms to complete. This is too slow for the audio to play back if I stream the decoded audio to the WaveOut audio device.

If I run the same test on my desktop PC with the win32 compiled version of libspeex using SSE support then the decode takes less than 1ms.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the decode on Windows Mobile 5?

Thanks,
Steven