[Speex-dev] Echo Can Tail Length

David Baker dbkr at mxtelecom.com
Mon Apr 20 03:16:53 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've been trying to understand the documentation on the Speex echo
canceller, and unless I'm confused, I think there's a mistake
somewhere. The documentation on http://speex.org/docs/manual/speex-manual/node7.html#SECTION00740000000000000000
  says, " The recommended tail length is approximately the third of
the room reverberation time". However, the Octave script
echo_diagnostic.m has the code:

if (b > .3*tail_length)
       printf ('This is too much delay, try delaying the far-end
signal a bit\n');

This seems to mandate that the tail length should be at least 3 (or
3.33...) times the delay, which conflicts with what the manual says.

Is this a mistake, or is my understanding incorrect (I'm assuming that
far-end delay and room reverberation time are the same thing). I'd
really appreciate if someone could clear this up, as I've not had much
luck getting the echo canceller to work.

Thanks in advance,

Dave