[Speex-dev] ietf discussion about draft-ietf-avt-rtp-speex

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 04:45:10 PDT 2009

Sorry for the delay.

On 4/13/09, Alfred E. Heggestad <aeh at db.org> wrote:
> Ivo, could you also review the updated memo-status/copyright notice,
> located on page 1-2 ?

Is this a new standard for writing Internet drafts?  I've never seen
it in other documents.

Specifically, this part:
"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not
be created, except to format it for publication as an RFC or to
translate it into languages other than English."

Unless it is required now by the IETF I would advise to remove it.
You are placing restrictions which do not usually appear(?) and may
otherwise conflict with IETF guidelines.

It actually differs from the standard Intellectual Property and Full
Copyright Statement clauses that proposed Standard Tracks documents
carry at the bottom.

Finally, the "no derivative works" seems a no-no to me, but I'm no
lawyer.  I for one assume Debian and other Free Culture organizations
won't be pleased.

-Ivo