[Speex-dev] Vorbis-/Speex-Audio for Movie-Archiving

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sun Apr 12 19:30:30 PDT 2009

I've heard that proposal (or variants) thousands of times and it useless
because:

1) There's no decent/practical algorithm to separate speech from the
rest of the soundtrack
2) It's fundamentally inefficient unless you have a large number of
languages (e.g. for two languages, you'd end up encoding three streams
instead of two)
3) Unless you aim for low bit-rate audio below 32 kbps (which is stupid
considering the size of a video stream), Vorbis will still perform
better than Speex, even on speech.

Point 3) is especially important. People think that as soon as something
is speech, Speex is automatically better than Vorbis. That's not the
case. Speex is designed for low bitrate communication (VoIP). It can
also be used for storing speech files, but then it only makes sense for
lower rates. Speex can never (and never aimed to) achieve the level of
transparency that Vorbis can achieve at higher rates.

	Jean-Marc