[Speex-dev] Discontinuous encoding and VBR tradeoffs

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Fri Oct 10 15:08:13 PDT 2008

I don't know why you're getting sound carrying over to the next time you
encode - that doesn't sound normal to me.  Have you tried saving and
examining the raw audio you're feeding to the encoder?  Have you tried
encoding and decoding that using speexenc/speexdec?

I use Speex in VBR mode for a VoIP app.  I'm always recording and running
the audio through the preprocessor (denoise, AGC) while a session is
established.  I only encode and transmit while speech is detected (if the
user has chosen VAD mode) or while a button is held down (if the user has
chosen PTT mode).  (These VAD/PTT are application-level constructs - I'm
not using Speex VAD or DTX.)  No sound is carried over from the end of one
burst to the beginning of the next.  I use the same encoder/decoder objects
for the life of the session and don't do anything to reset state between
bursts.

As for VBR quality, VBR mode is designed to target a specified level of
quality without guaranteeing how much bandwidth might be used at any
particular moment.  So, it's ideal when you want the best tradeoff between
quality and bandwidth while not requiring a strict constraint on bandwidth.
Try watching a graph of bandwidth utilization as you're talking and
transmitting using VBR at a particular VBR quality setting.  Try varying
the VBR quality while listening for the difference in audio quality and
watching the different in the bandwidth graph.  It behaves as one would
expect - I doubt you'll be surprised by the results.

Tom