[Speex-dev] VS2005 build stability?

Keith Kyzivat kkyzivat at tripleplayint.com
Wed Oct 1 21:17:38 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Jean-Marc Valin <
jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:

> Tom Grandgent a écrit :
> > If you remove the project files, I doubt it's going to make things easier
> > for anyone.  You'll probably just increase the number of questions as
> > people struggle to compile using less common and less user-friendly
> > methods, and someone is going to have to maintain that anyway.
>
> And how is having out-of-date project files help.
>
> > VS users want VS project files.  Plenty of open-source projects provide
> > them.  It's not that hard.
>
> It is. I have *one* set of autotools files (and by no means do I praise
> autotools) and they work got dozens of platforms, including x86/Linux,
> ARM, Blackfin, Mac, ... Yet, for the single platform that is Win32, I
> need half a dozen sets of files because of all compiler versions under
> the sun, it's just plain ridiculous.

That's why Alex and I have thought about a configure feature that produces
visual studio project files... The thing is, visual studio is so complex,
it's hard to abstract it out.

> > There's no way to get them up-to-date?  That's
> > ridiculous.  All it takes is someone who knows Speex, knows the compiler,
> > and has some motivation to do it.
>
> And that's the problem. I've had several people "in charge" of
> maintaining the project files. They are still out-of-date at least half
> the time. I don't blame them -- lack of time, no access to some compiler
> versions, ... It's just a mess.
>
> > You just replied to two such people.
> > Must you be that dismissive of their offers to help?
>
> I don't dismiss their good intentions. I'm just saying it's so much of a
> mess that in the end, project files tend to be broken more often than
> not. That's why I'm asking for an alternative -- less painful -- method.
> Speex should be simple to build. A small shell script could do it if
> there's a command-line compiler.

I definitely like the idea, but then there are many folks that want to
integrate speex as a project build dependency in their visual studio
projects.. I think that may be where things get tricky.

And Alex has told me that visual studio-built projects cannot link with
mingw-win32-gcc produced DLLs... *sigh*  -- I was trying to push for getting
a mingw build of our VOIP stuff (sipxtapi), but then Alex brought that up,
and since many of the users of sipxtapi are on windows and want to integrate
with their own visual-studio-built projects, it was not possible...

>        Jean-Marc
>
> > Tom
> >
> > Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is is possible to have makefiles, batchfiles, whatever that just calls
> >> the command-line compilers and doesn't require this huge amount of
> >> per-compiler-version crap? Otherwise, I'm seriously considering removing
> >> all those project files from the build since time has proven there's
> >> just no way to get them up-to-date.
> >>
> >>      Jean-Marc

> happy
> not