[Speex-dev] FFT Resampler

Thorvald Natvig thorvald at natvig.com
Thu May 29 02:36:07 PDT 2008

Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some questions from user point of view. :)
>
> On 5/29/08, Thorvald Natvig <thorvald at natvig.com> wrote:
>
>>  I've done listening tests when converting wb_male.wav to 44.1, 48 and 8khz,
>> and there aren't any obvious artifacts. I also did a 16=>16 test, and the
>> results are delayed by 10ms and within +/- 1 (basically, rounding errors
>> from the FFT).
>>

> Do you plan to use it in VoIP environment? If so, 10ms of additional latency
> is a big cost for resampling. Do you think there are any ways to reduce it?

Yes, I plan to use it in a VoIP environment if I can get latency reduced
to an acceptable level :)
The latency depends directly on the overlap parameter, which also
controls the quality. Higher quality => higher latency. You could set
the overlap to 0, but that would give you some nasty artifacts.
You can also resample with smaller block sizes. In the example I used
20ms blocks and 50% overlap. If you use 10ms blocks and 50% overlap,
latency sinks to 5ms.

It could be 50% overlap is complete overkill. It could be it's not
enough. It could be how much overlap you need depends on the block size.
I need to do some quality testing before I can say for sure :)

>>  +/** Get the latency in input samples introduced by the resampler.
>>  + * @param st Resampler state
>>  + * @return Latency in input samples.
>>  + */
>>  +int
>> speex_block_resampler_get_input_latency(SpeexBlockResamplerState
>> *st);
>>  +
>>  +/** Get the latency in output samples introduced by the resampler.
>>  + * @param st Resampler state
>>  + * @return Latency in output samples.
>>  + */
>>  +int
>> speex_block_resampler_get_output_latency(SpeexBlockResamplerState
>> *st);
>>

> What is input and output latency? As a user, I think there is only one latency,
> latency between data I passed to resampler and data I've got from it.
> I suppose there may be some internal idea behind this division of latency,
> but is end user interested in it?

It's copied directly from the speex_resampler.h; it's the same latency,
but measured in input and output samples. So if I resample from a
blocksize of 320 to 960 with 50% overlap, the input latency is 160
samples and the output latency is 480 samples.