[Speex-dev] Suitability of speex for use with noisy, non-voice source material?

david feldman wb0gaz at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 10:31:58 PDT 2008

Hello Jean-Marc,

I have completed some very basic testing with unexpectedly excellent results. I am posting this to the reflector to encourage others into similar experiments.

My experiment consisted of processing a 200-second long sample taken from a ham radio shortwave receiver, with a variety of signals (some strong, some weak - that is, weaker signals have more noise, and the noise is roughly speaking "white noise" vs. artifacts of other digital signal processing), and some in morse code. The test I ran is very non-scientific but was based on a decent cross-section of signals I'd normally find on shortwave ham radio.

The receiver's audio was sent into a generic PC sound card line input port with linux (using Ubuntu) utility "arecord" operating at 8k samples/second, 8 bits/sample, to a WAV file format. Playback (of the subsequently decoded audio back to WAV format) was on a windows machine and windows media player version 9. Testing speex involved using the sample command-line speex windows binaries to encode, then decode. As a side-note, the decoded file was always 2x the byte count of the original source file, and I did not investigate why, but this was unimportant at this test.

I tried quality levels from 0 to 8, and made no other command line parameter inputs to speexenc. speexdec was used with no command line parameters.

Source material - 64k bits/sec raw

Quality 0 - about 2.8k bits/sec encoded - unintelligible (could tell presence of voice, but no words readable) - FYI I did not try to optimize this mode by manipulating the source material further or adjusting other encoder parameters

Quality 1 - about 4.3k bits/sec encoded - significant distortion but almost all test signals intelligible, morse code almost fully readable (could live with this)

Quality 2 - about 6.3k bits/sec encoded - mild distortion and all test signals intelligible, morse code fully readable

Quality 4 - about 8.3k bits/sec encoded - artifacts only very mild and if I was listening for them

Quality 6 - about 11.3k bits/sec encoded - barely any artifacts - I can't say "none" but practically none

Quality 8 - about 16k bits/sec encoded - no artifacts I could hear

Overall, these results are far better than I had expected or could have hoped - both in terms of audio quality level achieved at data rates suitable for the envisioned 14.4 kbps IP/PPP experimental dial-up link, and in terms of the highly granular control I found with adjusting the quality parameter of speexenc. This granular degree of control means much potential for flexibility as I try to implement the end-to-end setup.

Next steps involve getting the code compiled onto the linux machine and working out streaming mechanisms for delivery over the dial-up link.

Thanks so much for this tool - I am more than encouraged!!

Dave