[Speex-dev] How many RAM Speex need??

B. Mitchell Loebel multinode at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 20:10:52 PDT 2008

Hello:

By way of comparison, I run an implementation of the G.729 decoder on
T.I.'s TMS320vc5402. It takes about 15K bytes of ram. That includes
code and tables.

At 11:44 AM 3/27/2008 -0400, Jim Crichton wrote:
>I use Speex on a C5509A DSP, which has 256k bytes of RAM for code and data.
>Speex fits very comfortably in less than half of this memory.  However, I do
>not have room for the echo canceller code in my overall application.  In
>your case, with the large Flash, the code space should not be a problem.
>However, I believe that you will need wait states to run from Flash, so
>performance could be an issue.
>
>You should be able to move a few critical routines into internal RAM and run
>everything else from Flash, and run all that you need on this platform.  It
>will take some experimentation, though, to work out what needs to be moved
>to faster memory.  Hopefully, you can sort that out in the TI simulator.
>
>- Jim

---
B. Mitchell Loebel, CEO, VP Engineering                          408
425-9920 cell
                                                                                       408
426-8082 Skype
InstaFlash International Corporation
(formerly Minute-Tape International Corporation)