[Speex-dev] How many RAM Speex need??

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Thu Mar 27 06:59:30 PDT 2008

Троцкий Василий a écrit :
> Hi evryone )
> My name is Vasily.
> I am a software developer from Ukrane, and i am going to use Speex on
> TMS320F28335 DSP-controller wich has only 68KB of RAM.

Assuming you've got ROM to hold the code/constants and that RAM is only
used for variables, then 68 kB should probably be enough.

> And I worry about this.
> I can't find memory requirements in speex manual(only some about
> optimization).
>
> Can anyone tell me, how many RAM Speex can eat at 8kbs realtime
> encoding and decoding with echo canceller and jitter
> buffer enabled?

The 8 kbps mode only requires around 4 kB of RAM (excluding code and
constants). The jitter buffer probably requires a bit less than that. As
for the echo canceller, it's probably more, but it depends on the
settings you use.