[Speex-dev] Mixing Codebook?

Ashhar Farhan farhan at phonestack.com
Tue Mar 25 22:33:04 PDT 2008

i have written conferencing servers with speex. you can view download
the code here:
http://lightweighttelephony.org/ltpstack.html

you can just scroll down to the ltpSoundInput and see how the audio
streams are all being mixed and also separated out for each
participant (each participant should get everybody's voice added in
except his own). I would warn you of a number of issues here:

1. speex or for that matter any other codebook based codec will not be
able to do a good job with mulitple voices. as a result while more
than one person are speaking at once, you can make out the clutter of
voices but the intelligibility goes down. I have verified this: two
simultaneous speakers reading standard texts that i tried to write
down while listening to the mixed _and_ speex encoded sound vs. only
mixed sound. speex degrades on multi-voice audio input.

2. It might be better if you stored each voice as a separate speex
channel within the envelope, decode them separately and then mix the
pcm audio. this means twice the bandwidth, twice the CPU power, but
without any degradation. You can even spatial place each speaker in a
stereo output by building delays and attenuation between left and
right channel.

- farhan

- farhan