[Speex-dev] Speex

Erik W. Rasmussen erasmussen at gn.com
Fri Jun 13 02:03:00 PDT 2008

Dear Speex developer(s),

We are currently in the process of evaluating speech codecs for the
transmission of wideband speech (fs=16kHz) at bitrates lower than 32
kb/s. Speex is a contender for this task.

Practically we would have to port Speex to a specific 16 bit DSP if we
would go for this. We should be able to handle this.

But we would like to ask for your opinion regarding patent issues. If we
go on the market with a Speex solution we would ideally reach reach
sales of 1 million pcs/year. This could trigger a patent lawsuit where a
third party holding a relevant or non-relevant patent would try to get a
share of our profit. We would of course not like this situation
therefore we would like to ask you how you see the risks for the
emergence of such a situation. More specifically:

- Do you know of any patents that might be used against a Speex-based
product? I assume that Speex is not violating any patents but regarding
to US patent lawsuits everything is possible, the judges/jurys have
litttle technical insight.

- Are there any products on the market, selling in large quantities,
that incorporate Speex?

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Erik W. Rasmussen
Senior Research Engineer
Technology Research

GN Netcom A/S
Lautrupbjerg 7
DK-2750 Ballerup
Denmark

Tel.  +45 45 75 88 88
Dir.  +45 45 75 91 22
Mob.  +45 29 13 09 90
Fax.  +45 45 75 88 89

erasmussen at gn.com <mailto:erasmussen at gn.com>
www.gn.com <http://www.gn.com/>

Global no. 1 in headsets!

**** GN GROUP NOTICE - AUTOMATICALLY INSERTED****

The information in this e-mail (including attachments, if any) is considered confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s)
listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended
recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail, delete this e-mail, and do not
disclose its contents to anyone. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily the GN
group. Thank you.

**** GN GROUP NOTICE - AUTOMATICALLY INSERTED 06 ISO P****