[Speex-dev] Fw: Voice Activation Level (speex 1.1.11.1)

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Fri Aug 29 15:41:59 PDT 2008

Manisha,

I'm still here. :-)  Here's the function:

// Returns the average power level in the given signal
float getPower(signed short int *signal, int numSamples)
{
    int i;
    float amp;
    float powerSum = 0.0f;

    for (i = 0; i < numSamples; i++)
    {
        amp = (float) abs(signal[i]);
        powerSum += amp * amp;
    }

    return powerSum / (32768.0f * 32768.0f * (float) numSamples);
}

Note that you should determine an activation threshold experimentally
and consider offering UI to adjust it, if possible.

Tom