[Speex-dev] VAD CPU usage

Nanang Izzuddin nanang.izzuddin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:56:03 PDT 2008

Hi,

I experienced this problem as well when using speex in VoIP
application, I only tested the wideband mode:
- if silence is in the beginning, CPU is fine.
- if silence is in the middle (after voice), suddenly CPU increased
significantly.

I tried to reproduce the problem (in Mac/Linux):

* 1 second tone + 4 seconds silence
$ time ./speexenc -w --vad t400-sil-5s.pcm out-sil.spx
Encoding 16000 Hz audio using wideband (sub-band CELP) mode (mono)

real	0m0.650s
user	0m0.629s
sys	0m0.025s

* 5 seconds tone
$ time ./speexenc -w --vad t400-5s.pcm out.spx
Encoding 16000 Hz audio using wideband (sub-band CELP) mode (mono)

real	0m0.271s
user	0m0.246s
sys	0m0.028s

Attached is the PCM files used for this test.

Regards,
nanang