[Speex-dev] some questions about speex on TMS and also unsubscribe

Jim Crichton jim.crichton at comcast.net
Thu Nov 8 07:58:29 PST 2007

male.snd and maleout5x.snd are headerless 16-bit mono audio files.  There is no reason why you could not play these files after adding an appropriate header.  Or, you can use something that supports raw audio files.  Now, if the playback sounds terrible, there may be some other issue.

malebits5x.dat is the encoded file.  It is a series of 20-byte frames, without any Ogg header.  You will not be able to play it back in a decoder which expects a file header.  You can build with DECODE_ONLY defined in config.h, and then you can decode an existing file.

The execution time of the project in the simulator is so long because the C54x simulator is horribly slow.  It is much, much slower than the C55x and C64x simulators.  Speex does not run as well on the C54x as it does on C55x.  The last time I checked (build 12825, a little before 1.2 Beta 2), I saw about 68 MIPs for C54x and 27 MIPs for C55x, for 8kbps, complexity 1.  Both of these numbers are dramatic improvements over the first results that I saw a couple of years ago.  There are no assembly optimizations for TI DSPs in the source tree, so all of the improvement has come from Jean-Marc's work.

Speex runs fast enough on a C54x to be used for real-time telephony.  If you have the choice, though, it runs much better on the C55x.

Regards,

Jim