[Speex-dev] RE: Moving to Git

Jacques Fourie jacques.fourie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:17:55 PDT 2007

On 6/12/07, Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:

> Coffey, Michael a écrit :
> > Personally, I'm disappointed to see Speex moving to Git from Subversion.
> > I had just recently learned how easy it is to track progress of Speex
> > using TortoiseSvn.
>
> Don't worry, you'll still be able to use svn to track the progress of
> Speex. I will simply be updating it from the git repository. Just
> curious, where you using more than "svn update" with the Speex
> repository (e.g. making local changes to the source).
>
> > That being said, I'm sure Jean-Marc knows best what the issues may be.
> > How many people are expected to commit on this project this year?
>
> Don't know, but I'm hoping to at least make it easier to contribute by
> making sure "everyone starts equal", i.e. now anyone can commit to Speex

and create branches in their own repositories.

Mercurial (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/) also fits these criteria
quite nicely and is a lot more cross-platform than Git.
If a distributed version control system is all that you are looking for, it
may be worthwhile to have a look at it.

Thanks for all the great work on speex!

regards,
jacques