[Speex-dev] In-band user data

Thorvald Natvig speex at natvig.com
Tue Jul 10 05:57:13 PDT 2007

pwk.linuxfan at gmx.de wrote:
> On Sunday 08 July 2007 02:24, Thorvald Natvig wrote:
>
>> Next, and slightly unrelated question:
>> Why does
>> int jitter_buffer_update_delay(JitterBuffer *jitter, JitterBufferPacket
>> *packet, spx_int32_t *start_offset);
>> include the packet parameter? It's not used in the code, and it also
>> makes the API slightly confusing as it's very unclear what that
>> parameter should be :)
>>

> The packet parameter is included to allow coming up iterations of the
> jitter-buffer to improve the perceived quality by changing the packet,
> without changing the API.

Ah, so the data in the jitter buffer should still be a pure speex
packet? I thought one of the reasons for moving away from
speex_jitter_blabla was to make the jitter buffer more generic? I'm
currently using 1 byte before the packet for metadata which accompanies
each and every packet. I could move that to in-band user data as well,
but that would mean it's 2 bytes instead of 1 :(