[Speex-dev] speex decoder

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Mon Feb 5 21:11:40 PST 2007

T Jyothiprakash Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>     In fixed point speex code there is no where satuartions checks are
> used. The basic arithmetic operations like ADD,ADD32,SUB,MUL etc. are
> just directly implemented without the saturation checks. Can u
> please comment on this.

The code is written in such a way that no saturating add/sub/mul are
required. That's the only way to get any sort of performance on
architectures that don't have hardware saturation (e.g. ARM). There's
only a few places where saturation is required, which I'm handling with
the SATURATE macro.

>  For the speex decoder testing, is there any standard streams? if yes
> from where can i get those?

No standard stream, sorry. Speex doesn't have a "bit exact" definition
like the ITU codecs. That means I can keep improving it, as long as I
maintain bit-stream compatibility (think how much MP3 encoders improved
over time).