[Speex-dev] Speex and RTP

Randy Schefiele scheifele2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 12:26:58 PST 2007

Hi again -

Sorry about the second email, but I just noticed an error in my email below.  The following line should be corrected:

In  my case, a Speex frame actually contains roughly 14.5ms of audio.

Thanks!
Randy

Randy Schefiele <scheifele2001 at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi -

I am currently developing a RTSP/RTP/SDP solution to stream Speex encoded data.  Using my current source, I have successfully streamed u-law and PCM encoded audio but have been unsuccessful thus far with Speex.

Because of some constraints of my system, I am encoding audio at 11.025kHz.  I am still using the 160 samples per frame which makes my frame size 28 bytes.  I have successfully written the SDP needed to describe the Speex stream but I haven't found a player that will play the stream.  I could be doing something wrong, but does anyone know of any players that can play RTP Speex streams so I can be sure that my solution is incorrect?

Also, I have looked over the draft RFC of the Speex RTP payload and I was curious to know if, because I am not using a standard sample rate, my solution will work.  In the draft RFC (and the Speex manual for that matter) it always refers to Speex frames containing 20ms of audio.  In  my case, a Speex frame actually contains roughly 14.5 seconds of audio.  Am I going to need to hack the Speex encoder to make my frames be 20ms in order for the RTP to successfully play?

Any advice/help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Randy