[Speex-dev] Jitter buffer latency

Andy Ngo ndno72-speex at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 08:30:14 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use the jitter buffer feature that comes with Speex but I'm getting unexpected latency.  I wrote a client application that does VOIP-like functions and without using jitter buffer, the end-to-end latency is around 250 ms (I'm using lowband 5.97 kpbs).  However, when I tried to incorporate the jitter buffer feature, the latency would grow as time elapsed (up to a few seconds).  I tried hacking the code by changing the SPEEX_JITTER_MAX_BUFFER_SIZE constant in jitter.c from 200 to 20 and the latency went down to around 300ms.  Am I doing something wrong in my application code?  Please advise.

Thanks.

Regards,
Andy