[Speex-dev] Data space crunching-how small can I get?

Jerry Trantow jtrantow at ieee.org
Mon Aug 6 12:45:12 PDT 2007

It is possible to use static variables.

In config.h for the C54/C55 I use:

    #warn Using MANUAL_ALLOC stack.

    #define MANUAL_ALLOC

    #define USER_MISC

    #define VERBOSE_ALLOC

-----Original Message-----
From: speex-dev-bounces at xiph.org [mailto:speex-dev-bounces at xiph.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Jacobson
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 2:35 PM
To: speex-dev at xiph.org
Subject: [Speex-dev] Data space crunching-how small can I get?

Hi,

I am using speex 1.2beta2 on a C5416, 16 bit, narrowband.

The project I am implementing speex into is very limited in Data space.  In
the speex decode_init and encode_init there are allocs that, combined, take
up 0x0F94 of data memory.  I do not know why the various allocs are sized
the way they are but that number is too big to fit into our project.  I was
wondering if those numbers (for the allocs) are at all flexible and if they
are what is their minimum size? how low can I go...

Also, is there a way to use the inits using static variables and not having
to use a heap at all or is the dynamic allocation required for speex to
work?

-Mike