[Speex-dev] Stereo speex on Blackfin

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Apr 18 14:09:11 PDT 2007

>>  Just a note here. Speex has maintained bit-stream compatibility since
>>  pre-1.0 releases. I make lots of minor optimisations and improvements,
>>  but the bit-stream itself is frozen and has been since the end of 2002.
>>  So no need to worry about that. But other than that, it's true that the
>>  latest code is usually a better thing to use.
>
> Hmm - I had been doing some linphone (RedHat 7 - don't know what version of
> speex) to linphone (Blackfin - speex trunk) testing in a lab, and I just got
> static, until I forced it to GSM, and then upgraded speex on the host - GSM
> worked, the speex upgrade worked.
>
> I guess that looking at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History I forgot how
> long ago RH7 came out... (September 2000).

Hmm. The bit-rates that linphone is using have been the same since 0.8.0
was released. OTOH, RedHat 7 even predates the beginning Speex, so maybe
you had a really, really old version of Speex. AFAIK, Linphone started
using Speex around 0.4.0 (or was it 0.3.0), when the bit-stream wasn't
frozen yet. In any case, if you find any case of two post-1.0 versions
not being compatible, I definitely want to know about it.