[Speex-dev] Dropped speex packets

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Fri Oct 20 00:42:09 PDT 2006

> I cant seem to find any mention of it in the documentation, what is the
> correct way of handling dropped Speex packets (can I just decode the frame
> after the dropped one twice and play it twice?).

When you don't receive a packet, just pass NULL as the "bits" argument
of the decoder. Then when you receive the next packet, you decode it as
usual.

> 15~20% packet drop simulated with speexdec still sounds OK, but I assume it is
> randomly distributed. How many in a row can be dropped before it becomes a
> problem?

Indeed, speexdec simulates random distribution, which isn't very
realistic, but it's more for simple testing so I didn't feel like doing
a Markov model. As for "how many in a row will cause problems", it
depends on the audio, where the packets are lost and what you define as
a problem -- just try it!