[Speex-dev] Stream Synchronization for Echo Cancellation

Aymeric Moizard jack at atosc.org
Wed Nov 1 07:25:53 PST 2006

This paper is very interesting. Just to add my own opinion on this:

My main problem concerning those elements is to synchronize
different soundcard on different PC!

The aec is working on both outgoing (mic) and incomnig (RTP) stream.
The problem most show up with USB wich appear to have very different
clock than "classic" soundcard hardware.

In those cases, when you get let's say 1000 packets of 20ms from the mic
you may have only 990 packets of 20ms from RTP incoming stream.

Thus, before sending outgoing mic/RTP stream, you would wait for 1000
incoming packets: where last packet in fact arrive 10*20ms = 200ms
after it was supposed to. I have from my experience already seen 4s
of clock deviation each minutes between one USB headset and other
sound card....

In this case, synchronisation is a nightmare. It seems to be similar
issue than the one described in your link, but the difference is really
unpredictable and the resolution does not seems as simple...

Anybody that wish to share experience on this?

Tks,
Aymeric MOIZARD / ANTISIP
amsip - http://www.antisip.com
osip2 - http://www.osip.org