[Speex-dev] Transmitting synthetic speech using Speex?

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Fri May 26 08:05:37 PDT 2006

Hi Reed,

I've been using Speex to transmit TTS for years.  It works very well with
no tweaking.  I use Microsoft TTS ("Microsoft Mike") with Speex at 16kHz
wideband and VBR quality 6.  Sometimes I forget that the sound is even
coming from another computer and being compressed+decompressed.  If
anything, TTS seems easier for Speex to deal with than real voice.  But
I don't have any data to back up this impression.

Have you tried using 16kHz wideband?  The sound quality is far superior to
narrowband, IMO, even if you have to turn the VBR quality down (to say, 2)
to save bandwidth.

Tom