[Speex-dev] Transmitting synthetic speech using Speex?

Reed Hedges reed at mobilerobots.com
Fri May 26 08:13:27 PDT 2006

Tom Grandgent wrote:
> Have you tried using 16kHz wideband?  The sound quality is far superior to
> narrowband, IMO, even if you have to turn the VBR quality down (to say, 2)
> to save bandwidth.

Thanks for the info Tom!

Probably narrowband is hurting me, but my system is currently built on that. I
want to try to get acceptable performance from narrowband if possible before
trying to add wideband support to the system.

Consistant, noise-free synthesized speech certainly has fewer potentially
problematic aspects to it though, I agree... Maybe we should all just make
people type their communications in to a keyboard :)

Reed