[Speex-dev] OT Which Audio system to target?

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Jan 4 11:33:47 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:25:53PM -0500, David Siebert wrote:

> I am starting to work with the speex API under Linux. Simple question
> what audio system should I target? OSS or Alsa? I looked at portaudio
> and it targets OSS and it seems to work fine but am I limiting myself?
> alsa does emulate OSS so it seems the best to target.

ALSA is the future, and has nice additions like latency feedback (not so
important for voice, but very important for audio/video sync). However,
ALSA will emulate the OSS device interface for many years to come, so
really it depends on your application. If your targets all support ALSA
(e.g. linux distributions released in the last year or so) I would use
it, otherwise use OSS and rely on the compatibility layer.

IMHO,
 -r