[Speex-dev] Would be nice to conditionally compile out coding modes and code tables...

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Thu Dec 14 15:41:02 PST 2006

> Searching the code (speex 1.0.5) I don't find DISABLE_WIDEBAND.  This
> is new to speex 1.2 and I wasn't aware of the update.

Yes, Speex 1.0.x is old code and I'm not making changes to it (unless a
really bad bug is found).

> After reading the code again, you're absolutely right (of course)
> each progressively more complex codec references the previous one.
> So disabling narrow-band doesn't make sense.

Actually, I forgot to mention that disabling ultra-wideband is also
nearly useless since it uses the same functions as wideband.

> I completely understand that it's possible to override speex_alloc()
> and speex_free(), in fact that's what i've done.  However, how much
> memory do I reserve?  Without running the code I would like it to be
> possible to reserve the appropriate memory for my required codecs.
> Running the code to determine the magic memory size to reserve is not
> very user-friendly and not very good if future revisions of the
> library are released as the old code with the magic allocation size
> will fail.  Determining whether an allocation is possible at compile
> time is far more preferable than at run-time.

It's not easy to determine the size at compile time because it depends
on the compile options (fixed-point, float, SSE, ...) and the
architecture (the way structs are packed, the size of ints and pointers,
...). If you know of a generic solution that would work, I'm happy to
hear it.

> Which leads me to another point of irritation.  I noticed that you
> stated that people shouldn't be using MAX_BYTES_PER_FRAME to reserve
> space for the output of the encoder and that it's far better to just
> allow speex_bits to realloc it's out of space
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/speex-dev/2003-August/000515.html .
> For a lot of embedded systems it's very important to know ahead of
> time how much memory is required for an operation.  In fact the
> memory required should be known at compile time so that the
> application will always function correctly.  At the very least, the
> worst case scenario should be accounted for so the application never
> fails due to being out of memory.  So something like
> MAX_BYTES_PER_FRAME is a pretty good idea since it allows application
> developers to prepare for the worst case.  What would be nice, would
> be a MAX_BYTES_PER_FRAME type constant that defines the maximum
> packet size per encoder mode.  How did MAX_BYTES_PER_FRAME end up at
> the magic number of 2000 bytes?  A frame of 2000 bytes is 1000
> uncompressed mono 16-bit PCM samples.

MAX_BYTES_PER_FRAME is totally unrelated to what you're asking. It's in
fact merely the initial size of the internal bit-packer to make sure
that realloc() is not needed for any sane use of libspeex. What you pass
to speex_bits_write() is the size of your own buffer. There's no maximum
value for that. It depends on what you're actually doing with Speex. If
you encode one frame at a time at 4 kbps, then you only need 10 bytes (4
kbps / 50 frames/sec / 8 bits/byte). If you decide you want to pack a
million frames in the same packet at 44 kbps, then the needed space will
be huge and there's nothing I can do for you. Now, if you're making an
embedded system and you're tight for memory, if could also be worth
using speex_bits_init_buffer() and pass your own buffer.