[Speex-dev] Sampling Rate

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Thu Dec 14 01:00:09 PST 2006

Alain M. a écrit :
> What would be speex configuration recomended for Telefone/Voip quality
> voice? With a quality just a little better/similar then G.729? or GSM?

I generally recommend wideband if possible. Otherwise, I recommend 15
kbps, which is much better than G.729 or GSM. The reason for that is
that you're already pushing 16 kbps of (RTP+UDP+IP) headers around, so
it's a bit silly to try and compress the audio down to 8 kbps (unless
you have to because 15 kbps won't fit).

> is there a comparison chart somewhere, but telephone quality oriented?

A while ago, I ran PESQ on Speex and other codecs. The results for NB
and WB are at http://people.xiph.org/~jm/aes_nb.png and
http://people.xiph.org/~jm/aes_wb.png but SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN
OF SALT because PESQ is particularly unreliable for comparing codecs.

	Jean-Marc