[Speex-dev] RE: Speex-dev Digest, Vol 27, Issue 18

George Ou george_ou at lanarchitect.net
Thu Aug 17 13:52:53 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I cover some VoIP issues.  I was at VoIP developer conference and asked an
embedded manufacturer (we're talking Wi-Fi phones) about supporting Speex in
their embedded products.  He said that Speex was good but it's too many
things to too many people and that he couldn't supported it in his embedded
products for the following reasons.

*	Code size must be extremely small
*	Data working set must also be extremely small
*	Use very few MHz of a DSP
*	Needs packet loss concealment (I believe Speex has this)

His recommendation was that because packet overhead alone was in the 24 kbps
range, there is nothing wrong with having a 16 KHz wideband stream that uses
24 kbps so long as it meets the above embedded criteria.  He said that the
VBR support and ultra low bandwidth capability wasn't really useful.

What we need is something that would meet the lowest common denominator in
hardware yet deliver a wideband stream in less than 24 kbps for the payload.
Can someone comment on this?

George Ou