[Speex-dev] Speex in mobile phones?

Björn Thalheim s9268716 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Aug 11 06:52:10 PDT 2006

Hi,

Thabang Kevin Khanye wrote:
> I want to implement speex in the project I working on, is it
> possible? I use Symbian, so, is there C++\Java speex for phones?

1. There's JSpeex, a Speex implementation in Java, which you can find
under: http://jspeex.sourceforge.net/. Haven't had a look at it, though,
so I only know that it exists.
2. As Speex is written under C, isn't there a C to C++ converter which
can bring the source code to C++ (Haven't done anything with C++ but I
always thought, C++ is an Extension of C so C is a Subset of C++)?
3. Speex was made for VOIP-Telephony, the manual says, it expects
packets to arrive uncorrupted or not at all. So there's no error
handling in speex. So Speex might not be quite what you want (the VOIP
scenario differs a little from the mobile phone scenario). Unless, of
course, you patch it with an error-corecting code or wrap an FEC-Code
around every packet.

I hope, Jean-Marc corrects me if I told you anything wrong.

Ciao,

Björn

--
Keep it short for pithy sake.

--
Important! Please recognize my new GPG Public Key!
                 Björn Thalheim