[Speex-dev] Speex on ARM in Real time

Steve Aldous stevealdous at msn.com
Thu Aug 3 09:26:57 PDT 2006

Jean-Marc,

Is there some document somewhere that outlines the ability of Speex to encode on ARM processors in real time, at the various bit rates and complexity settings? If not, can you give me some anecdotal information on the topic?  I am interested in a real-time encoder for Windows Mobile 5.0 with XScale 416 MHz platform.

As you may know,  X-Pro for Pocket PC is a VoIP softphone (http://www.xten.com/docs/xpro_ppc.pdf) which supports Speex. However, I found it could not run real time on a 416 MHz XScale device. It, of course, was running the encoder and decoder at the same time. And unfortunately, it does not allow settings like bit rate and complexity to be altered.

Thanks,

Steve Aldous
SCA Investment Co. LTD