[Speex-dev] Speex and Builder

SteveK stevek at stevek.com
Wed Sep 21 18:49:46 PDT 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 5:59 AM, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

>> 1) May I know how Speex compared with GIPS codec?  It seems that
>> Google,
>> Yahoo, and Skype are licensing from GIPS.  Are there any good
>> benchmarking
>> or fair comparisons?
>>

> I think these two emails sum up my opinion about Speex vs. iLBC:
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/speex-dev/2005-June/003410.html
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/speex-dev/2005-September/003652.html
>

>> 2) In particular, how is the jitter buffer control for Speex in
>> response to
>> intermitent poor connection hiccups?  Is it robust enough to
>> smooth out lost
>> packets (error concealment) and quick enough to recover the live
>> conversation smoothly once the packets received are back to normalcy?
>>

> There is packet loss concealment in Speex even without using the
> jitter
> buffer (no, error concealment wasn't invented by GIPS). As for the
> jitter buffer itself, it's adaptive, so it just keeps the lowest
> possible delay that doesn't cause losses.
>

>> 3) Has anyone used Speex for live VoIP application?  Any good
>> references or
>> examples to start with?
>>

> I've written a demo application for Linux that uses wideband, echo
> cancellation, denoising and the jitter buffer. I'll post it soon.

There's also asterisk, softphones based on the iaxclient library, and
other softphones out there that use speech.  Asterisk now includes
the speex preprocessor when you use the speex codec (in CVS), and
iaxclient has used the speex preprocessor for quite some time.  They
both now support PLC for speex (as well as other codecs).