[Speex-dev] Supported DSPs

Mon Sep 5 15:59:14 PDT 2005

> > float:
> > x86/x86-64  (SSE assembly optimizations provided)
> > PowerPC
> > SPARC
>
> I've had floating decoding running on a C5510.

Good to know (although not that useful!).

> > fixed:
> > ARM (v4 and v5E) (assembly optimizations provided)
> > Blackfin (assembly optimizations provided)
>
> Any chip in the Blackfin range, or just certain ones?

The one I used was a BF533 500 MHz with a STAMP board
(http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=buy_stuff)
I could do narrowband encode+decode at 15 kbps using 9% CPU. I expect
this will improve a lot as gcc will get better (gcc has just been ported
to it) or when using ADI's compiler.

> > TI C6x
> > TI C55x
>
> Can you be more specific about which C55x chips it has run on?

No clue. Try the mailing list archive.

> > TI C54x (but still too slow due to compiler issues)
>
> Are these all both encode and decode? Do you think decode-only might run
> on the C54x?

I think decode would probably run in real-time. I'm sure encode could
also work, but you'd need to work around the compiler generating useless
functions calls for multiplications it could do in hardware.

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke