[Speex-dev] Question from XM Radio

Sun Nov 27 13:55:13 PST 2005

You can try the Ogg DirectShow filter to get Windows support for Speex:
http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

> My goal is to find a promising codec for 2Kbps.

You should be aware that the 2 kbps mode has quite poor quality in
Speex, a bit similar to the LPC10 vocoder.

> - Has there been any successful satellite streaming projects using
> Speex?

Not that I know of.

> - Has there been any projects having a decoder embedded in an IC

Not that I know of.

> - If none of the above, what type of processing power for real-time
> Encoding/Decoding are we talking.  Does anyone have real-time
> encoding/decoding software yet?

The source code can be compiled as fixed-point and I would think the
complexity is somewhere in the 5-10 MIPS range for encode+decode
(decoding is cheaper than encoding).