[Speex-dev] cpu utilization across speex versions

Kemal Oral CANSIZLAR cansizla at usc.edu
Sun May 29 01:09:06 PDT 2005

Hi all,

We are using Speex codec for our P2P Audio conferencing application. Thus, a node may serve multiple neighbors, requiring multiple encode/decode at a time.

I have observed that Speex consumes alot of CPU power; one machine is Pentium 3 800MHz, 256MB RAM with XP. When this PC serves the other two faster PC's, CPU utilization soars to maximum. I have tried various versions of speex; 1.0.1, 1.0.4, 1.0.5, and interesting enough, I found that 1.0.1 did a better job, keeping CPU utilization at acceptable levels, unlike 1.0.4 & 1.0.5. Is this behaviour normal? Moreover, does anyone have any figures for minimum system requirements for speex coding in real-time for multiple parties? Or might I be doing something wrong/inefficient?

By the way, the audio settings are: 32KHz uwband mode, 16 bits, Mono, speex quality 8, speex encoder complexity 4 (almost same results with complexity 2 or 1).

Any pointers greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Kemal.