[Speex-dev] VAD with speex_preprocess()

Paul Gryting paul.gryting at teligy.com
Tue Mar 8 08:16:49 PST 2005

In speexenc.c, speex_preprocess() is not called unless AGC or denoise is
enabled.
If only VAD is enabled, it does not get called.

speex_preprocess() has vad_enabled specific code to detect voice activity.
speex_preprocess()
{
   if (st->vad_enabled)
      is_speech = speex_compute_vad(st, ps, mean_prior, mean_post);

    return is_speech;
}

Some questions for the knowledgable:
Is speex_preprocess() needed to use vad?

Can speex_preprocess() be used to detect silent frames if vad is enabled,
but not agc or denoise?
What internally does speex do differntly for silent frames when VAD is
enabled?

Paul