[Speex-dev] Prebuffering best practices

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Tue Jun 14 17:50:47 PDT 2005

What is the best way to pick a prebuffering length for a streaming audio
application using UDP transport?

I'm using Speex in a VoIP application with RTP transport, currently with
a fixed 500ms prebuffer on the playback side.  However, I'd like
something a bit more adaptive to accomodate high-jitter connections.

For example, in one test configuration there is a very low average
round-trip latency (50ms), but it spikes all over the place (sometimes
10ms, sometimes 500ms).  Thus I can't make my prebuffer duration
proportional to latency, but somehow proportional to "jitter".  But I'm
not sure the best way to quantify this, nor how to tranform that into a
reasonable prebuffer length.

Thus I'm curious what experience you've had in this area, and what you
can recommend as a good way to adaptively compute a prebuffer duration.
  Thanks!

-david