[Speex-dev] Speex hardware support?

Mike Feeney graue at oceanbase.org
Tue Jun 14 15:33:19 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 17:22 -0400, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> I'm not aware of any hardware player supporting Speex, but if you want
> to contact companies, you can always start with Rio, iRiver, ... or
> Apple? :-)

Okay.

You didn't give me any details though. I mean, is it actually feasible?
And the point is to record, not just play.

The device I'm talking about, that I wish supported Speex, is a
dedicated recorder. It's shaped roughly like one of those USB flash
drives you can get that hold 128-1024 MB. It has a little display that
lets you see your recordings, when they were recorded and how long they
are. And it lets you choose between HQ ("barely passable quality"), FQ
("bad quality"), and "really bad quality" (I forget the real name of
this because I never use it). It can store 2, 4, or 8 hours of voice
recordings depending on the quality setting you use. Finally, it encodes
all of the audio in some terrible speech compression format that's
probably patented and conveniently can't be sent to my friends or played
in any application but the manufacturer's. I transfer the audio in this
format using USB.

Do Rio, iRiver, and Apple make such things? I know they make mp3 (et al)
players, but that's not what I'm talking about. Although I guess I
wouldn't mind if the hypothetical Speex recorder had other capabilities.

Thanks,
-graue