[Speex-dev] Comparison

Ashhar Farhan farhan at phonestack.com
Sat Jun 11 23:42:42 PDT 2005

i have been working on a voip client that goes head-to-head with skype in
technological terms. for this, we used speex wide-band codec. without the
denoiser or the pre-processor, i find that speex quality at 16 khz
sampling, 16-bit samples (mono) to be clearly superior to anything that
skype offers.

even though, at the moment, i am not using packet loss compensation, i
find that speex is consistenly a better perfomer though the complexity of
the code (at a setting of 2) is on the higher side as compared with skype.

in a few weeks time, i will make a release of this client for everybody to
try it out. at the moment, i am using speex 1.1.8 build on arm and
windows. they are also available on our website www.phonestack.com

- farhan