[Speex-dev] difference with NB and WB

Tom Grandgent tgrand at canvaslink.com
Thu Jul 28 05:39:27 PDT 2005

Ronald,

Although you can give Speex data at any sampling rate with any mode,
it's a good idea to use the right mode for whatever rate you have.
Speex is built for speech (not just any audio in general) and is
sensitive to what kind of stuff is going on in certain frequency
ranges.  If you tell it your data is at one sampling rate and give
it data with another sampling rate, its idea of what frequency ranges
are what will be all wrong, changing all the time, and it will be a
real mess.  It's much better if you use the right mode for the data
you have.  So if you have 8kHz, use NB.  If you have 16kHz, use WB.

(This sounds like a good question for the FAQ perhaps...  Hopefully
I have the right idea with this explanation...?)

Tom