[Speex-dev] Garbled sound no more

Fri Jul 22 09:19:03 PDT 2005

Le vendredi 22 juillet 2005 à 03:16 -0400, Tom Grandgent a écrit :
> Hey, thanks for sharing this information.  If this is true, it could
> explain some intermittent problems I've had, since I do encoding and
> decoding in separate threads.  I assumed that Speex was thread-safe
> because there doesn't seem to be a connection between the encoder and
> decoder, and the encoder and decoder require separate states for
> different streams.  I'm curious to know what interactions could occur
> between encoders and decoders running in separate threads.
>
> Can anyone else confirm or deny thread-safety issues with Speex?

Speex *is* thread safe. As you noted, the encoder and decoder are not
connected in any way and the only global data in Speex is constant
(otherwise, it wouldn't even compile on Symbian). I suspect the previous
poster had other non-thread-safe code (soundcard, some library, ...).

> I'm going to put locks around all of my Speex code and see if my problem
> goes away...

Don't.

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke